Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I Found the key to Life and it's a Trowel Pick

Alas, I have found the key to life, a peaceful soul, a joyful heart and a fulfilling future. ...and it's not at all what I thought it would be...

Imagine you have been given five numbered keys to a huge safe and inside is a million dollars and another door. You use the five keys to open the safe. Once inside, you are intoxicated by the smell of so much money. You begin to gather as much in your arms as possible, but you remember that there is another door.
Curiosity overtakes you and you set the money down for a moment to see what is behind the door. Oddly, you don't need a key to open the door. But, as you swing it open, you see a wall of rock and gold...gold in its natural state, still embedded in the rock...and a trowel pick with the number six on it. Your lightening fast brain deduces that this is the sixth key.
You look back to the million dollars laying there for the taking...then you look back through the door to the wall and the pick. 
Is that really gold?  Maybe it's fools gold? It would take forever to mine that gold...if it's even real. I don't even have gloves. I'm not very strong...I might not even be able to get much of it.  And, you close the door, grab your money and run.

The five other keys are all of the things in life that fill it: career, relationships, wealth, notoriety, traveling, helping others, being of service, etc. ...all good things.  But the sixth key is a door and a trowel pick. It is the process of us opening the door to our soul. We have a gold mine inside of us, but it is embedded in a lifetime of experiences, fears, insecurities, hopes, disappointments, hardness, bitterness, suspicion, and weariness.

A million dollars will run out...careers can unexpectedly end, relationships don't bring us the fulfillment we are looking for, helping others makes us feel good for a moment, but doesn't take away the ache inside.

The gold mine inside, is 'who God made us to be'...(not to be confused with 'what God has called us to do')

**I have no idea what I might be doing in six months from now. I don't know if I will ever have the things in life that I once thought gave it meaning.  What I do know, is that I am spending time, effort and tears developing myself and mining the gold that God has placed inside of me. There is a lot of junk in there...and it feels like rock.  But I seek the fulfillment in life that is not temporary. All the other stuff...you can have it. I don't really even know what to expect, but I know that if God designed it...it must be better than anything this world has to offer. 

I have traveled around the world and have been to many countries
I have fed starving children in third world countries
I have lived in high-rise apartments with marble and soaring windows
I have owned a convertible Mercedes and other fancy cars
I have earned sales awards and been given coveted promotions
I have been a keynote speaker for crowds of thousands
I have sung duets with known recording artists

....AND STILL I FELT LOST AND UNFULFILLED

I believe God is giving me the opportunity to grab the trowel pick and go to work. He will give me the strength to keep digging, and He is the Lord of the mine...and this gold will stand the test of time and eternity. Ironically, when I focus on becoming 'WHO' God wants me to be...all the other stuff comes automatically...by virtue of living in the 'Blessing Waterfall' of God's Grace!

2 comments:

  1. You have quite a gift for writing. I enjoyed your blog today and you and your Mom singing on facebook. I'm proud of you for sticking with it and moving forward. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete