Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Oxygen Mask Protocol

My sponsor told me that if I do what's best for me, it will automatically be what is best for everyone and everything around me.

I had to argue with myself a while before I could even agree with that statement. I have a compassionate heart and I really do want what is best for those around me. 

But, it's kind of like the oxygen mask protocol on an airplane... "Please place the mask over your own face before you place the mask on someone else's face...and breath normally."
 
I am learning that focusing on someone else's welfare to the detriment of my own is an escape mechanism. What a martyr I then become...for the sake of their good. ...yeah, not so much.
 
Well, guess what? I have only been given responsibility to answer to God for one person...ME! ...And what good am I trying to help someone breath life, if I am gasping for air?
 
I am learning to make the best decisions for me, assist others when I am able, and realize that me making a decision for my good is helping others....automatically!
 
Don't take my word for it. Try it...you probably won't like it...but it might change your life.
It is changing mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment